Friday, June 20, 2014

SUP Yoga at Lake Havasu

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to practice SUP Yoga with a few friends. I had only recently discovered what SUP Yoga was, yoga on a stand up paddleboard, and I knew I had to give it a shot! 


I've been practicing yoga since about January and I love every bit of it. If you follow me on instagram, you might have noticed some photos of me trying out some new poses that I have learned. I've even tried a little acro yoga. Practicing yoga has brought a lot of happiness to my life and my body loves it too. I could go on and on about why I love yoga, but I'll save that for another post.


One of my best friends, Cayla (above in the center), recently graduated with her doctorate degree so a bunch of our friends vacationed together in Havasu to celebrate her accomplishments. We're all so proud of her! She organized the best weekend ever. The memories from that weekend will live on forever.

After we were fitted with the paddles, we hopped on our boards and did some stretching. Our instructor, Marlo, lead a really fun class. Honestly, I don't know how you could not have fun! Especially because this was a new experience for all of us. Even Jayare joined us!


I discovered Marlo through a google search. I'm not sure how many other instructors there are in Lake Havasu City, but I definitely recommend signing up for one of her classes if you're in the area. Since I was able to get three others to join me, we signed up for a private class.

An interesting fact you may not have known about Lake Havasu City is that this is where the London Bridge resides. Marlo informed us that it was disassembled in London and reassembled, brick by brick, in it's current location at Lake Havasu. It was purchased as a tourist attraction. Pretty neat, huh?


The lake wasn't too busy that morning so it was nice to relax and enjoy the view.


Most of the poses we did were sitting poses. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't easy trying to stand up and balance on those boards. We eventually all stood up and paddled around a bit and after a while, it got easier.

And I'm sure you're wondering if anyone fell off. Yup, we sure did! I had the idea in my head that I was going to try dancers pose on the board. Yeah, I should probably save that for another time after I have a little more experience with balancing on a board! The good thing was that I fell in the nice cool water which was really refreshing since it was so hot out.



I had a great first time trying out SUP yoga and I'm already planning my next class. I found an instructor through instagram (isn't the internet the coolest?) and I'm organizing a class for next Saturday, June 28th. If you live in the Phoenix area and you're interested in joining me (or if you're interested in joining a future class), please email me: alesoing@gmail.com and I'll add you to my contact list! Have a great weekend everyone! Namaste! 

P.S. All of these photos were taken by my friends Lisa and Mike. Thanks for documenting our SUP Yoga journey!

8 comments :

  1. This is so awesome!!!!!! You have me inspired to to start Yoga in the near future. I'm want to feel more relaxed and flexible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an awesome experience! Such great photos too :) So fun!

    <3 Megan
    http://www.garden-variety.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks cool! But I can imagine it to be pretty exhausting :)

    GIVEAWAY on my blog:

    http://badtastetoasttoast.blogspot.de/2014/06/lingering-petrichor-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome, Adrian! I'm really excited for you to start your teacher training, it has seemed like something that you are really enjoying! I am curious about visiting Lake Havasu, I only saw the bridge once from a tiny plane when I was training for my pilot's license yearrrrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I've visited a few times and I love it! It's always more fun with a boat too!

      Delete

Thank you so much for your nice comments. I do my best to respond to questions, but please feel free to email me at: ALesoing [at] gmail [dot] com. :)

You might like these: