Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Vegan Chive and Dill Cream Cheese Cucumber Sandwiches


Hey everyone, it’s Leah from Superstition Vintage here.  Adrian and I recently planned a staycation at the Valley Ho where we held a fun, vegan picnic for ourselves! While I’m not vegan like Adrian, I am a vegetarian and had no problem accommodating Adrian’s diet restrictions for our rainy day feast. For the picnic, I made some cute and yummy vegan chive and dill cream cheese cucumber sandwiches and I’m here to share the recipe with you.  I hope you had your Wheaties this morning ‘cause this one’s a tuffy….
  


Ingredients:

  • You’ll either need two 8 oz. containers or you’ll need to divide one container for each mixture (1 chive, 1 dill) depending on how many sandwiches you would like to make.
  • I purchased my vegan cream cheese at a nearby Whole Foods but if you’re unsure where to find Tofutti, their website has a helpful locator. 
  • I used the plain flavor.  They also offer flavors like: French Onion, Herb & Chives and Garlic & Herb.  I’ve never tried any of these flavors since they are difficult to find but, if you try them, let us know what you think!

2. Nature’s Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread

3. Oroweat Potato Bread
  • Both types of bread were purchased at my local, ghetto-fied grocery store. 

4. Fresh Chives, chopped

5. Fresh Dill, chopped
  • I used organic, fresh herbs.  You don’t have to use organic but make sure they are fresh, not dried. 

6. Cucumber(s), peeled and sliced about ¼” thick
  • The number depends on how many sandwiches you want to make.  You’ll need one or two slices per sandwich depending on the size.  One cucumber was enough for about 15 small sandwiches. 
  • Picnic Tip: I dried the cucumber slice with a paper towel before assembling each sandwich so they wouldn't get too soggy.  Pretty critical if you’re not planning on eating the sandwiches right away!



Tools:

1. Various cookie cutters, a drinking glass or, if you have an artistic hand, a knife to cut your sandwiches into shapes.  
  • The cookie cutters that I had at my disposal were too shallow and couldn’t cut through the thickness of the sammies so, instead, I tried using a glass to cut out circular shapes. In the process, I discovered that using the glass sealed off the edges of the sandwiches, making them perfect for transporting to our picnic location.  Booyah!

Here is the most important part of making these vegan sandwiches: Vegan cream cheese, obviously, tastes different than regular cream cheese.  I tasted it before adding my chives and it had a bit of a sweet taste to it.  It was good but it definitely wasn’t the flavor that I wanted for these sandwiches. 

If you know anything about tofu (a main ingredient in Tofutti), you know that it basically tastes like whatever you cook or prepare it with.  In order to get as much chive and dill flavor into the cream cheese, I prepare the mixture in advance. In this case, I prepared the two mixtures 5 days in advance.  I just chopped the chives, mixed it with the vegan cream cheese and popped it in the fridge til the day of the picnic.  I did the same with the dill mixture and by the time I was ready to make the sandwiches, the sweet flavor of the Toffuti was replaced by the nice, herbaceous flavor I was looking for!

Okay, so I think it is safe to say that sandwiches, in general, are amazing and that most of you probably know how to assemble one.  The amount of cream cheese you use will depend on your personal taste.  I put a thin layer on each piece of bread to help the bread adhere to the cucumber.  Once the sandwich was put together, I used my drinking class to cut the shapes and voila!

So… what are you waiting for?! Go make these sandwiches, they’re delicious!!!


8 comments :

  1. HOT DAMN! I must try this recipe. It looks/sounds AH-MAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! My husband has decided to try going vegan and I'm all for it, so finding this post (and your blog~ Hi there!) was perfect timing. For whatever reason, I've been thinking about making little cucumber sandwiches but now I have to! These look so yummy. We found this yummy vegan bread that's TINY so it's perfect for these sandwiches.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe! \\^_^//
    [waves]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this recipe! I hope you and your hubby enjoy the sandwiches! :)

      Delete
  3. YUMMM! I've been obsessed with cuke sandwiches all summer! The best!

    ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM!!! i would love to try this with cooked zuchinni inside - thanks for the recipe! sounds good, i LOVE dill

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look DELICIOUS!!! Found you through The Dainty Squid. Newest follower <3

    -Sandra
    redrose-vintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'm heading over to your blog now! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your nice comments. I do my best to respond to questions, but please feel free to email me at: ALesoing [at] gmail [dot] com. :)

You might like these: